If you are a fan of Aerogarden, Basil is perhaps the best herb that has created an enormous fan following among the Aerogarden experts. If you are looking for the best Mediterranean taste, Basil is perhaps the best that you can choose. Aerogarden is definitely the best option for growing a wide range of herbs, and Basil is one of the hot favourites among the Aerogarden enthusiasts. However, have you ever given thought to the ways to prune basil in Aerogarrden Evern wondered how to prune basil in Aerogarden?
You should prune basil around once every three weeks. It is the best time to prune your basil whenever you see the new growth. Using clean gardening shears and scissors for pruning basil in Aerogarden is recommended. Simply cut the top cluster of leaves.
Why Prune Basil in Aerogarden?
Pruning basil is a critical step in cultivating basil in Aerogarden. Pruning is what helps you in getting a better yield from your herb. Pruning is helpful in keeping your plant healthy and keeps it growing well enough. The proper pruning will help in ensuring that the new shoots will get enough energy.
Pruning can also be a good option to help keep the plant from getting overcrowded. This, in turn, will help you avoid the blocking light from the other smaller plants.
The primary reasons why you should prune basil in Aerogarden include:
- To help encourage new growth. When you prune the basil, you will remove the older leaves which have gone non-productive. This helps the plant to develop new leaves.
- To improve air circulation. Pruning lets open the plant, and this assists in better air circulation. This can help in avoiding the pest infestation.
- To maintain the shape of the plant. The plant may grow leggy and tall if you do not prune it regularly. Pruning helps in keeping it compact and bushy in nature.
What Are the Benefits of Pruning Basil in Aerogarden?
Pruning basil in Aerogarden offers a host of benefits. Some of the benefits that you stand to gain with a proper pruning of basil in Aerogarden would include:
- Maximising the harvest: Pruning will help encourage the plant to grow properly and healthily. It also helps the plant in producing more leaves.
- Ensuring the growth of new shoots: Pruning will help the plant in focusing its energy on growing new shoots
- Preventing overcrowding: Pruning the basil helps avoid overcrowding
- Creating a busy appearance: Proper and regular pruning can help in producing a plant that has a bushy look.
- Creating more leafy growth: Pruning encourages less stem growth and more leaf growth.
When to Prune Basil for the First Time?
Pruning the basil for the first time should be taken up when the plant is six inches tall. This is when your plant has around five to six sets of leaves. If you have grown a basil from the seed, you must wait until the plant is 8 to 12 inches tall. Pruning should be undertaken generally from 4 to 6 weeks after sprouting.
After the first pruning, you should continue to trim and prune the basil every two to three weeks. This will help the plant to produce new shoots. This will further help in leading to more harvests.
Flowers are a bad sign for your basil. If you notice any flower buds, make sure to prune them off immediately. Even when your pruning schedule is not yet up, and you notice flower buds appearing in between your two pruning schedules, make sure to nip off the flower buds immediately.
The Closing Thoughts
Pruning the basil plant is an essential part of your care for basil plant in an Aerogarden. By following the proper pruning methods and schedule, you will be able to get the best possible experience in getting a bounty of basil harvest. With the proper pruning and care, your basil should be able to get the best possible treatment and thrive.
Can I use regular kitchen scissors to prune my basil in the AeroGarden?
Yes, you can use the normal kitchen scissors to prune basil in Aerogarden as long as they are clean and not rusted. However, for better results, you should use garden shears for pruning.
How often should I prune my basil in the AeroGarden?
You should ideally prune basil in Aerogarden once every week. If you are not able to do it, pruning at least once every two weeks is extremely recommended.
Can I prune my basil too much?
Basil should ideally accept a fair amount of pruning. But if you do it too much, you may end up damaging the plant. It may get stressed out and ultimately fail to recover. Try maintaining a proper balance and make sure not to remove more than one-third of the plant.
Can I use the pruned basil leaves right away in my recipes?
Yes, you can efficiently use the pruned basil in your recipes. They can be a good option to help in culinary creations. Make sure to wash them properly and use them in your dishes.